Home » Archives for

Doris Jaeschke Kosub

The parish of St. Michael’s in San Antonio was established on 8 November 1866 when Father Vincent Barzynski, a Resurrectionist priest, arrived from Rome. It was the third Polish Catholic church in Texas and the United States (after Panna Maria and St. Hedwig). It was also the third Catholic church in San Antonio-the first being San Fernando and the second being St. Mary’s.

Since the first Polish colony to arrive in San Antonio came within the octave of St. Michael’s feast day, it was decided that St. Michael would be the patron saint of the immigrants. And so it was appropriate that the Polish church in the city be named for their patron saint.

Read the full article →

About The Author: Doris Jaeschke Kosub

Doris Jaeschke KosubDoris Kosub has been doing genealogical research since 1991. Her primary area of interest has been the Poles of Bexar County (especially St. Hedwig) and the Germans of Fredericksburg and San Antonio.

She is a member of the Polish Genealogical Society of Texas and has held offices as vice-president, corresponding secretary, and treasurer for the past 12 years. In addition she has written articles for publication in Polish Footprints, the PGST periodical. Recently she served on the Editing Comittee for the newly published book, Travel Notes, an English translation of Notatki Z podrozy written by Stefan Nesterowicz in 1910

Doris also served on the Silesian Profiles comittee which published the book Silesian Profiles II - Polish Immigration to Texas 1850s-1870s in 2004.

Read more by

Subscribe to Doris Jaeschke Kosub's entries by RSS feed